Shopping before school is a fun rite of passage for most children and yet another source of stress for parents. The annual ritual to prepare your child to school can be financially, organizationally, and emotionally exhausting.
We perfectly understand this and share your concerns, so we have prepared for you an article on how to prepare your child for school, including an exhaustive list of what you really need to buy:
- a diary;
- squared notebook - 15 pcs .;
- oblique notebooks - 15 pcs .;
- handles - 10 pcs.;
- pencils - 2 pcs.;
- colored pens;
- sharpener for a pencil;
- brushes - 2 pcs.;
- folder for notebooks;
- album folder;
- glue stick;
- pencil case;
- wet wipes;
- launch box;
- bottle for water.
You can view the full list of purchases to school with prices at the link: https://link.costless.com.ua/awgFMuLhg9
Preparing for school in a pandemic in 2020
Due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, school purchases for the 2020-2021 school year may change slightly. So far, no one knows for sure whether the children will go to school or whether distance learning will continue, so you need to be ready for any scenario.
For example, your child may need a laptop or computer and Internet access from home. Before classes start on September 1, ask your classroom teacher how learning will be in a pandemic and what your child may need if quarantine continues.
Where to start shopping for school?
First, go to school before the start of the school year and ask what your child will need to study. You may be asked to buy additional special books, exercise books, educational games - the list may vary depending on the school, class, or teacher.
Second, compare the list of products you need with what you already have. Sometimes backpacks, lunch boxes, markers, pencil cases can last for several years, so there is no need to add them to the shopping list before September 1.
Next, just make a list of the items you need for your school and go shopping. You can, out of habit, do it on paper, or you can use modern services, such as Costless, and make a shopping list for school on your mobile, at the same time check the cost of each product and calculate the budget.
Back-to-School shopping list for the 2020-2021 academic year
So, we bring to your attention a list of school supplies for your child to buy before the start of the school year.
To learn the alphabet and writing at school, your child will need the following writing materials:
- Notebooks: for elementary grades, you will need oblique and checkered notebooks. It will be optimal to purchase notebooks in 12-18 sheets, 15 pieces of each type. For older students, buy exercise books depending on the number of items and the requirements for them. Pay attention to the quality of the notebook sheets - they should be white, with good markup and margins for the teacher's assessment.
- Pencils: Large pencils are more comfortable for small children to hold in their hands, so check with your teacher to see if they can be used. If not, buy traditional # 2 wood pencils.
- Eraser: Choose a good eraser that won't tear the paper but will gently erase mistakes.
- Paper: Purchase a stack of white paper before the start of the school year. Your child will need it for school projects. For high school, it is better to take more.
- Notebook folders: buy your child at least 2 folders - A5 for notebooks and A4 for albums and sheets.
- Pencil sharpener: be sure to buy a small pencil sharpener, preferably with a drop-down case, so that shavings from pencils will not scatter throughout the workplace and your child will not be able to hurt themselves on the blade.
- Ballpoint pens: This is one of the most important accessories for a child. The pen should be comfortable, with a good nib that won't leak or scratch the paper. Opt for quality handles with rubber grips for a comfortable grip. Take 5-10 identical blue ink pens for a year.
- Colored pens: Many kids like to highlight subject themes or key messages with a separate color. The basic set is considered to be red and green pens, but you can buy a whole set of gel pens with colored ink, most likely they will last for one year.
- Ruler: Teachers advise you to choose a ruler that will fit into your child's pencil case. The optimal length is 15-20 cm. It is better to buy a wooden ruler, it is more durable than plastic. Also, plastic rulers, due to their flexibility, are often used for pranks.
- School Diary: Perhaps the most important accessory for any student. Let your child choose a diary to use each day of the school year. Now there is a huge selection from classic to smart diaries with additional information, checklists, and tasks.
In the elementary and middle grades, students are offered a large number of handicraft and practical training classes. Plus, visual arts, appliqués, and crafts aren't limited to classroom activities. Surely, you will spend more than one evening with your child doing creative homework.
- Crayons: There are many different shapes and colors of drawing crayons, you can choose a set of 8, 16, or 24 crayons for school.
- Highlighters and markers: A set of 10 standard colors will be enough for many shade options, and washable markers will be the best option because there is always a child's oversight to correct.
- Colored Pencils: A 12 or 24 color set is great for fine arts lessons.
- Scissors: For elementary school students, you will need scissors with a blunt or rounded tip for safety. Most of them are for right-handed people, so if your child is left-handed, look out for this and get a special pair for left-handers.
- Bathrobe: An oversized bathrobe or T-shirt will help keep your child's clothes clean during arts and crafts.
- Glue: small children will be easier to handle with glue stick; liquid PVA glue is suitable for older children.
- Album: your child will probably need an album for drawing for art lessons. It is enough to buy an album with 40 sheets. It is advisable to choose albums with a spring, they are more durable and do not crumble.
- Colored cardboard: for beautiful crafts and applications, you need cardboard, it is better to immediately choose a colored one. Take at least 24 sheets.
- Plasticine: your child will need colored plasticine for crafts, choose sets of 10-12 colors.
- Watercolors: For drawing lessons in first grade, it is best to choose watercolors. They are more affordable and are presented in a wide range. Choose from 12 to 24 colors for your child.
- Paintbrushes: You will need at least 2 brushes, thin and thick. Brushes with natural bristles # 2, 3, 5, or 6 are best suited for a student.
School bags and accessories
1.Backpack: Every student needs a good, roomy backpack to store all of their school supplies. You should take a responsible approach to the choice of a suitable model since an incorrectly selected knapsack can lead to problems with the spine.
It is better to choose a backpack with an orthopedic back - hard to the touch with soft pads or pads on the entire back. Ideally, there is a soft cushion (the so-called lumbar support) at the bottom of the backrest, which will correctly distribute the load along the child's back. An additional plus will be the presence of reflective elements on the backpack.
It is important to choose the right size for your backpack. You shouldn't buy a knapsack for growth. Choose a briefcase that is as wide as your child's shoulders and is no higher than your child's shoulders or lower than your waist.
School Bag straps should be strong, made of good, wear-resistant material with adjustable length.
2.Pencil case for writing utensils: there are several variations of school pencil cases, you can choose anyone your child likes, the main thing is that it should be roomy and contain all pencils, pens and drawing accessories.
3.Lunch box: if you plan to give your child snacks with you, then you should purchase a special reusable lunch box, it should be divided into cells. So you can pack the student sandwiches, vegetables, and fruits, sweets, which he can eat during the day.
4.Water bottle: Buy a reusable water bottle for your child that will curl well. It is very important to maintain water balance and teach your child to drink plenty of water from childhood. Look for bottles made from BPA-free material and with a capacity of at least 0.5 liters.
5.Bag for changing shoes/clothes: in winter and autumn, children are required to change their shoes at school in clean shoes so as not to carry dirt. Think ahead of time for a practical changeable shoe bag for your child to carry comfortably to school. You can use the eco-bags that are given to you when you buy shoes in stores or buy a special backpack bag.
6.Wet wipes and antiseptic: In a pandemic, taking care of your baby's hygiene is very important. If the class has personal lockers for storing students' belongings, you can leave a pack of antibacterial wipes and a hand sanitizer there. If this is not possible, then buy them in a small amount and put them in the side compartment of the schoolbag, let the child always carry hygiene products with him. Explain to your student that you should always wash and disinfect your hands before eating, after outside, active play, and contact with other children.
In the end, we offer you a ready-made list of school supplies: https://link.costless.com.ua/awgFMuLhg9
You can install the Costless app for free and create your list, compare stationery prices, and find the best deals, find shops near your home where you can buy everything you need.